Thank you for your interest in becoming a member of Portland Mountain Rescue! In order to join our team, you will need to fill out an application, return it to us and be accepted for review by the PMR Membership Committee. Complete instructions are below…
The PMR Membership Committee evaluates all applications to ensure that prospective members have the skills and motivation to contribute to the unit. Applications for both Trainee or Associate level are considered in even numbered years.
Potential Associates are evaluated based on the specific contribution that they can make. It is important that a position exists within PMR for an Associate to fill.
Potential Trainees must complete an application by June 1st, 2020. Applicants meeting minimum qualifications will be asked to discuss their motivation and experience in an interview with several members of the PMR Membership Committee. Because of the vast differences between sport/adventure climbing and technical mountain rescue work, we want to make sure that potential Trainees understand the additional physical and mental demands of the latter.
Those selected to demonstrate technical skills will be invited to an orientation and a mandatory field try-out on Mt Hood. The optional Trainee applicant orientation is held in early July. Applicant field tryouts will be held Saturday, July 18, 2020. Successful applicants will be invited to join the unit and begin the two-year training academy in September.
Minimum Qualifications for Trainee Consideration:
- Be 18 years of age or older
- Have a climbing/mountaineering resume that includes experience on intermediate snow routes (preference for familiarity with Mt Hood routes)
- Ability to maintain certifications in adult/basic first aid and CPR (WFA/WFR and/or EMT certifications are encouraged though not required)
- Ability to work in a team environment under stressful conditions
- Familiarity with avalanche awareness and burial rescue technique
- Be able to demonstrate sound decision making skills in the backcountry
- Be able to pass a background check with the Clackamas County Sheriff’s Office
Technical Skills tested for at Trainee Tryouts:
- Physical fitness (ability to hike from the Timberline mud lot to Silcox Hut in under 45 minutes with a heavy pack)
- Basic map reading and navigation skills using a compass
- Standard climbing knots
- Rope work competence
- Glacier travel set up
- Objective hazard evaluation and route finding
- Self-arresting with an ice axe
- Snow anchors, basic rigging, and common belay methods
- Avalanche beacon use and burial rescue
- Crevasse rescue on a two-person rope team
For both Trainee and Associate level applicants, please follow these steps:
(1) Download and fill out the climbing resume (to be uploaded in step #2)
(2) Fill out and submit the online application
(1) Download, print and legibly fill out the application forms in black or blue ink. A Word or PDF format are available.
(2) Return the completed application to:
Portland Mountain Rescue
PO Box 5391
Portland, Oregon 97228-5391
- Trainee Level applications will only be accepted prior to June 1st of even-numbered years.
- If your application is accepted for consideration you will be invited to an all-day Field Trial held Sat July 18th, 2020 at Timberline. This session is Mandatory for those seeking to be admitted into PMR’s Trainee program.
If your application is accepted, we will be in contact with you in the near future. Thank you, once again, for your interest in Portland Mountain Rescue.
If you have any questions about the application process, please contact email@example.com